Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Olympian

Ethan and his gold medal the Drs gave him
Within the past two months Caden and Ethan have started playing Mario Olympics in the playroom. At first I thought this would be another one of toys where they both have about a 2 minute attention span and then on to something else.  Well I was wrong.  This game seems to be the most desired toy to play.  Ethan's favorite events are the hurdles, long jump and triple jump.  He has now incorporated these events into his daily walks around the hospital halls.  He usually does the triple jump and hurdles with just a little leg lift and a "ump".  It's the long jump where we get the arm workout and the nurses trying to keep up with us with "big blue", the Berlin pump.  We had the opportunity to watch a little of the Olympics with Ethan.  He was disappointed that he didn't see any long or triple jump.  As we watched some of the most amazing athletes compete in these games, I began to think about Ethan.  These athletes train for months and even years to accomplish their goal of a gold medal.  As we watch these games we are in awe of their talent.  How much sweat and pain have they gone through to train, all for a gold medal.  What a journey to experience.
Mario and the Gold Medal

Ethan's Beads of Courage
Even though Ethan did not participate in the London Olympics to me he is  an Olympian.  He's now been on the Berlin for almost 5 months.  He has been through quite a bit for just being 2.  His daily routine usually consist of blood draws or as he calls it "pokes".  He then has to have a dressing change which can hurt depending on how they need to clean his cannula sites.  Sometimes they have to dig around the sites to clean and sometimes all they have to do is wash it.  Ethan does all of this just with Tylenol, no morphine.  Each week he has "picture" which is an echo to check the function of the right side of his heart as well as looking at the blood clot that formed around his cannula back in June.  For 3 hours each day he has water pumped into his stomach from the NG tube.  At night he's hooked up again receiving Pediasure or as Ethan calls it "feeds".  All of this and we are also trying to push food down him.  He's the bravest little boy I know.  He talks about home, and wants to know when he can go.  Ethan hasn't stepped a foot outside and felt the wind or the sun since March 20th.  He may not have a gold medal but he has 10 full strands of beads that hang in his room.  Each bead represents something he's had to go through.  I look at those beads and I hurt for Ethan but I have to stay strong for him.  I'm so proud of my little boy.  To me he stands above all with his medals of courage.
Caden and his superhero powers!


I also feel that my two other children are also apart of this Olympic team. Caden has been through so much and not quite understanding everything going on.  At night after his prayers he'll tell me how he misses Ethan and wants him to come home.  I just keep telling him soon.  And Maddison, what a rock star!  She's had to basically live in the hospital since she was born.  Every day I'm up here I drag her along.  She is so easy going and happy no matter if we are at the hospital or home.  God truly blessed me when he gave me that baby girl that could handle the craziness of our daily life.

Maddison playing in the playroom





All this to say, I am truly amazed by the talent of those that represented their countries in the Olympics.  But, I do believe that my kiddos are all Olympians in their own way.  God has given them strength and calmness in the craziest of storms.  He has given all 3 a unique heart that he touches daily.

Decorating cookies together.
 













No comments:

Post a Comment